DARELL PRIMARY AND NURSERY SCHOOL 21 November 2016
The Governing Body of Darell School Primary and Nursery School is consulting about whether the
school should become an academy as part of the Every Child, Every Day Academy Trust (with
Grey Court and Hollyfield schools).
The consultation runs until 9 January 2017 – please have your say!
The Governing Body is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the school, ensuring high
educational standards and robust accountability whilst maintaining financial viability. After
extensive review, the Governing Body are making this proposal to join the Every Child, Every Day
Academy Trust. The key benefits are to:
• Increase collaboration between the schools to improve children’s outcomes
• Broaden the opportunities for staff to develop teaching and leadership skills
• Allow sharing of resources to improve the effectiveness and efficiency. Government policy
is to strongly encourage schools to become academies and in particular to form or join
multi-academy trusts (meaning that several schools are within the same academy trust).
An academy is a state school, funded directly from central government rather than through
Richmond Borough Local Authority. An academy has several differences from a maintained
• Being responsible for its own admissions policy;
• Being responsible for its land and buildings;
• Freedom from the requirement to follow the National Curriculum;
• Being the employer of its staff; and
• Receiving its share of the funding directly from the Department for Education.
Where can I find further information? How can I have my say?
More detailed Questions and Answers are available on the school website
(www.darell.richmond.sch.uk) or paper copies from the school office on request. Further
information about academies is also available on the Department for Education website
You can have your say or ask further questions by:
• Completing the feedback form available online or in the school office
• Writing to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Attending meetings at Darell school on 13 December at 7pm or 15 December at 9am.
The consultation closes on 9 January 2017.
What happens next?
The Governing Body anticipates making their final decision in March 2017. This decision will be
informed by a range of information, including issues raised through this consultation.
If the decision is not to join the Every Child, Every Day Academy Trust, then Darell would remain a
Local Authority maintained school. If the decision is to join, the conversion would be anticipated to
take place on 1 September 2017.