DARELL PRIMARY AND NURSERY SCHOOL 27th June 2017
At the Full Governing Body meeting on June 27th 2017, the Governing Body voted on the following proposal: ‘Should Darell Primary and Nursery School convert to academy status, as part of Every Child Every Day Multi Academy Trust, on 1st January 2018?’
The Governing Body voted in favour of this proposal to join the Trust. It was a majority decision of current Governors who attended the meeting. As previously stated, Jane Spencer (Chair) did not vote, or participate in the discussion prior to voting, owing to her role as Trustee of Every Child, Every Day.
This decision has been taken following a rigorous due diligence process and careful consideration of the merits of joining this Trust .
The Governing Body is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the school, ensuring high
educational standards and robust accountability whilst maintaining financial viability. After
extensive review, the Governing Body are making this proposal to join the Every Child, Every Day
Academy Trust. The key benefits are to:
• Increase collaboration between the schools to improve children’s outcomes
• Broaden the opportunities for staff to develop teaching and leadership skills
• Allow sharing of resources to improve the effectiveness and efficiency. Government policy
is to strongly encourage schools to become academies and in particular to form or join
multi-academy trusts (meaning that several schools are within the same academy trust).
An academy is a state school, funded directly from central government rather than through
Richmond Borough Local Authority. An academy has several differences from a maintained
• Being responsible for its own admissions policy;
• Being responsible for its land and buildings;
• Freedom from the requirement to follow the National Curriculum;
• Being the employer of its staff; and
• Receiving its share of the funding directly from the Department for Education.
Where can I find further information?
More detailed Questions and Answers are available on the school website
(www.darell.richmond.sch.uk) or paper copies from the school office on request. Further
information about academies is also available on the Department for Education website